|AGRBM - PORTRAIT
Arbeitsgemeinschaft Reproduktionsbiologie des Menschen e.V.
"German Society of Human Reproductive Biology"
The German Society of Human Reproductive Biology (AGRBM) was founded on 26th November 1994 in Bonn and is a professional organization of reproductive biologists in Germany who are active in the field of human medicine. It emerged from meetings between the heads of the IVF laboratories and was initiated in September 1988 by the IVF Group Darmstadt. The inaugural assembly mainly consisted of those organizers who had been involved in meetings between the heads of IVF laboratories until that time.
The objectives of the German Society of Human Reproductive Biology are as follows:
1. The representation of the interests of the biologists or academic laboratory personnel working in the field of human reproductive biology in their contacts with professional bodies, authorities and administrative bodies.
2. The further education and training of all members and other interested individuals.
3. The drafting of guidelines and statements on issues relating to reproductive biology.
4. The promotion of science and research in the field of human reproductive biology.
5. Public relations work and the provision of information on all aspects of human reproductive biology, in particular as competent experts and contacts for authorities, organizations, press, educational institutions and legislative bodies.
6. Collaboration with other professional societies.
The Managing Committee of the AGRBM, which is re-elected every two years, consists of the First Chairman, the Deputy Chairman, the Treasurer and two committee members.
Only biologists and academic laboratory personnel in related fields who are employed in approved reproductive medicine centres in Germany may be accepted as full society members with voting rights. Individuals who do not belong to this group of people have the option of associate membership without voting rights. The number of members has now increased (as at April 2016) to about 300.
The annual conferences, with an annual general meeting of members and a scientific programme, normally take place on a weekend in April to May at varying locations. In addition to the annual conference, regional workshops take place several times a year, during which current issues are discussed in small groups. Since 1999 the AGRBM has conducted training sessions twice a year for members with renowned experts from within the country and abroad. Practical seminars, where discussion forums on methodology are at the forefront, have been taking place every two years since 2005.
The annual membership fee is currently 75 euros and includes the subscription for the magazine, Journal for Reproductive Medicine and Endocrinology, which is co-published by the AGRBM.
The AGRBM has carried out studies which have led to presentations at congresses and, to an extent, to publications:
- Comparison of TESE-ICSI results after mechanical and enzymatic preparation (Retrospective multicentre study on mechanical and enzymatic preparation of fresh and cryopreserved testicular biopsies. Human Reproduction 17 (7), 1788-1794, 2002)
- Evaluation of oocytes at the pronuclear stage, their potential for development and pregnancies (Evaluation of pronuclear morphology as the only selection criterion for further embryo culture and transfer. Human Reproduction 16 (11), 2384-2389, 2001)
- Comparison of techniques and materials in an IVF laboratory as an aid to "trouble-shooting"
The German Society of Human Reproductive Biology is a member of the Association for Reproductive Biology and Medicine (Dachverband Reproduktionsbiologie und -medizin e.V.), an institutional member of the German Life Sciences Association (Verband Deutscher Biologen und biowissenschaftlicher Fachgesellschaften e.V. - VBIO) and founding member of the Network of Scientists in Medicine (Netzwerk der Fachwissenschaftler in der Medizin e.V. - NFM). The AGRBM is in contact with and in dialogue with all those organizations which deal with scientific, medical and professional policy questions and the issue of quality management in the field of reproductive biology and medicine. Since 2001 the German Society of Gynaecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gynäkologische Endokrinologie und Fortpflanzungsmedizin e.V.- DGGEF), the Federal Association of Reproductive Medicine Centres in Germany (Bundesverband Reproduktionsmedizinischer Zentren Deutschlands e.V. - BRZ) and the AGRBM have successfully collaborated on the scheduling and conducting of programmes for symposiums on gynaecological endocrinology and reproductive medicine and annual conferences of German IVF centres. The AGRBM is a member of the board of trustees of the "German IVF Register" (Deutsches IVF-Register). The German IVF Register is a quality assurance instrument in the field of IVF.
The AGRBM is also involved in the public relations work. Currently, letters to editors are formulated as responses to newspaper and magazine articles. Members of the AGRBM also conduct training sessions in different cities for "interested members of the public" (primarily teachers).